Photo credit Mary Friesz
Are you having a “AHH! Christmas is in 5 days and I still need to buy a bunch of presents, but I’m broke!” moment? Me too! No worries… this Christmas gift and recipe will solve your problem!
Here is a super easy, quick, and thoughtful present that your friends and family will love! Everyone I know LOVES brownies, so instead of baking up a dozen batches, I decided to gift them what they need to make their own delicious, HOMEMADE brownies using a recipe I have tweaked from all of my favorite brownie recipes.
There are two parts to this recipe. First, you will assemble the jars to give as gifts using 1 quart mason jars and items you can find in your pantry. Second, your friends and family that are amazed at your creativity will bake the delicious treats.
1) Brownies-in-a-Jar PART ONE
Ingredients that will go in the jar:
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Hershey’s)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Wash and dry mason jars, rings, and lids. Let dry completely.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a funnel (or a flexible cutting mat rolled into a funnel shape), add about half of the cocoa and flour mixture to the jar. Tap to even your layer.
- Using the funnel, add 1 cup of the sugar. Tap to even your layer.
- Using the funnel, add the remaining cocoa and flour mixture. Tap to even your layer.
- Using the funnel, add the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Tap to even your layer.
- Add the chocolate chips to the top of the jar. If it looks like there is not enough room, press down the chips as you add them; they will all fit.
- Put on the lid, twist on the ring, and your jar is complete!
- Attach PART TWO of these directions so your friends will know how to make the brownies!
- Optional: Add a piece of fabric tied with a ribbon over the top of the jar for a more festive look.
2) Brownies-in-a-Jar PART TWO
Ingredients that are added before baking:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thoroughly spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, vanilla, and eggs until well blended.
- Dump contents of jar into the wet mixture. Mix until combined (batter will be thick).
- Spread into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Cool on a cooling rack (if you can resist).
Kelly Kaminski is a graduate of Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH and is currently a Dietetic Intern and graduate student at Louisiana Tech University.