When something is described as “tie-dyed,” it usually involves a wrangled t-shirt dipped in various colors. Sure, tie-dying shirts is fun, but what about tie-dying cupcakes?
No, no, that doesn’t mean go dunk your vanilla cupcake in different paint colors. Instead, use CL’s simple tips to create colorful cupcake combinations for your next party (or for She’s The First‘s second Tie-Dye Cupcake Bake-Off from Nov. 12-18!)
You will need:
1. Vanilla cake mix (I used Betty Crocker, but you can use whichever brand excites your taste buds the most)
2. Any additional ingredients your box of cake mix asks for
3. 1 can of Vanilla frosting
4. A minimum of two jell-o flavors
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Combine vanilla cake mix with any additional ingredients the recipe calls for
3. Split the cake mix into as many bowls as you have jell-o flavors (for instance, I had two flavors so I split the mix in half)
4. Open the jell-o packet and pour approximately 1/3-1/2 of the packet into the cake mix
5. Mix together until every bowl is the color of the jell-o
6. Split each cupcake evenly between the colors you have
7. Bake for however long your cake mix says (mine were baked through in 17 minutes)
8. Let cool
9. Frost with vanilla frosting (or any other flavor you’d like)
These cupcakes are easy to make and only require one extra, easy-to-remember step. So, next time you are asked to make baked goods for an event, show up with tie-dyed cupcakes and wow your family and friends with their delicious — but not overwhelming — flavor.
For more delicious cupcake recipes, check out CL’s cupcake board on Pinterest!