Moving back to school or into a new apartment can be exciting and intimidating at the same time. The chance to make a new place feel like home allows a mover to get creative with thoughts of how to transform plain walls into a sketchbook their personality can take control of, no matter how wild or crazy it may be. However, that same creative streak makes the plain wall feel as if it’s staring back at you, challenging you to go through with your plans and cover it up.
Luckily pinterest is mecca for do-it-yourself projects, affectionately known as DIY. The majority of DIY projects are simple, not to mention easy on your bank account.
So, if your blank wall is staring back at you, begging you to add a little color into its life, why not try creating a stenciled canvas? Put the right side of your brain to work and end up with a one-of-a-kind piece of art created by your own hands.
- A canvas — check out Michaels for different shapes and sizes
- 1 pencil
- A stencil (it can be any shape or style you’d like)
- Paint (again, it can be whatever color you’d like)
- A paint brush — the size of your canvas and stencil will determine how big your brush should be. For instance, if you have a small 8.5×11 canvas, use a smaller brush
- Cut out your stencil
- Place the stencil on your canvas and trace it with a pencil (you can paint your canvas beforehand if you’d to change its color, just make sure the paint is completely dry before you start tracing)
- Repeat your tracing until the canvas is filled to your liking
- Get creative! Paint inside the stencil for one and outside for another
- Impress your friends with your newest piece of wall art
For more fun and creative DIY projects, be sure to check out CL’s budget-friendly ideas!