As classy co-eds, we spend hours decorating our dorms each semester, making them stylish and comfortable. But what about the exterior of your college home? Creating these DIY door hangers is a fantastic roomie bonding activity and will make the outside of your dorm inviting and chic!
What you need:
- Patterned card stock (Check out these cute prints at Target.)
- Wooden plaque (flowers, hearts and ovals are great! Make sure it’s small enough to fit on the door knob, 9 inches by 5 inches is standard)
- Ribbon (about 2 feet)
(Michaels has all of these—Check out the picture below!)
- First, cut the patterned card stock to fit the size of the wooden plaque and glue them together.
- Next, if the plaque has a plastic tab at the top, string the ribbon through the tab and tie a bow. If not, use a hot glue gun to attach the ribbon to the back of the plaque. Position it a few inches from the edge so the door hanger’s strong. Tie a bow with enough room for it to hang from the door knob.
- Finally, decorate! Use felt, glitter, stickers and your imagination! Here are a few decorating tips:
- Use sticker letters or markers to write a message. Try “Studying…Please knock!” “Welcome, friends!” or a holiday themed message such as “Happy Halloween!”
- Depending on the theme you choose, decorate around your message with felt flowers or other shapes, or doodle your own design. Creativity is classy!
- Outline your door hanger with a thin strip of glue and sprinkle away with pink glitter! (Just make sure you don’t do this on carpet—it could get messy!)