Fall is fast approaching, and that means cooler weather, football and COCOA. Everyone loves a good cup of hot chocolate, but what if you could make a delicious, classy, healthy cup without the unnecessary sugar and calories? Look no further! Not only is this cocoa tasty and easy to make, but there will also be plenty to go around for you and your classy co-ed friends.
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Truvia or Stevia to taste (or any natural calorie-free sweetener)
2/3 cup boiling water
4 cups of whole milk (preferably organic)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup cream (preferably organic)
(Makes 8 servings)
- Gather all of your ingredients.
- In a saucepan, combine the cocoa and truvia. Blend in the boiling water and bring the mixture to a boil, while stirring constantly.
- Simmer and stir for an additional two minutes, making sure the mixture doesn’t scorch.
- Gradually stir in the milk and cream until heated through, but not boiling.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Serve.
This recipe is fun and easy to make, and the ingredients can be found at any Target or Wal-Mart. If you prefer to make the cocoa in your dorm room, you may substitute your microwave for the stove. The cream and vanilla give it a nice exotic touch that is sure to wow your friends and satisfy your tummy while you tailgate on those cool fall nights. If you’re really feeling like Betty Crocker, you can pair the cocoa with this delicious recipe for Hummingbird Cake. Feel free to keep this recipe to yourself and tell your classy co-ed friends that it’s a secret that stays in the family!
Dustin Divelbiss is an alumni from Louisiana Tech Unversity. Follow her at @dustindivelbiss. To stay tuned to more articles for classy co-eds be sure to follow College Lifestyles on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.