When it comes to having summertime cravings, I always turn to a juicy piece of fruit for satisfaction. Peaches, the epitome of the perfect treat on a hot summer day, are often the fruit to do the trick. As kids we remember the sticky residue on our fingers and the Disney movie dedicated to this summertime favorite, and the obsession still remains today. In addition to the sweet, unmatchable flavor of a peach are unique health benefits as well. Here’s why you should add more peaches into your summertime diet:
- They are rich in niacin, thiamine, potassium and calcium and high in beta carotene, an antioxidant that converts to Vitamin A and is essential to heart and eye health.
- Because of the peach’s high fiber and potassium content, it is known as a healthy detoxification option and kidney cleanser.
- Peaches are low in calories and high in water content, so eating one helps to suppress your appetite without filling you up with unneeded calories.
Tips on Buying the Perfect Peach
- Look for a well defined creased, and a texture that isn’t too mushy, yet isn’t rock solid.
- Let your nose do the picking, because a perfect peach will smell as delicious as it tastes.
- Stay away from peaches with green stems, and look for an even golden color. Never push hard on peaches when checking for ripeness, as the fruit is sensitive to bruising.
As if peaches could get any tastier, check out this easy Peach Smoothie recipe for a refreshing summer drink.
Brittany Lavenski is a Fashion & Living writer at College Lifestyles ™. She enjoys studying PR and Political Science and is President of her university’s Chapter of PRSSA. When she’s not working, you can find her walking her dog or eating sushi and chocolate with her friends.