As a rising college senior, I can safely say that joining the Greek community has been by far the best decision I’ve made in my college career. However, coming to college as a timid and clueless freshman, I had no idea that someday I would feel this way about Greek life. Like many women who decide to go through recruitment I was unsure of what I really wanted, afraid of how certain people would perceive me and I didn’t know if it was really worth it. Whether you’re wondering if Greek life is for you or weighing the pros and cons of going through recruitment, here are 10 reasons why you should go Greek :
- It’s a great way to meet new people: As an incoming freshman, for the most part you don’t really know anyone. Joining a sorority introduces you to a ton of people that you might not necessarily have met or gotten to know otherwise. You also get to know more people through exchanges and sorority swaps. You are constantly being introduced to new and interesting people.
- It pushes you out of your comfort zone: Being in Greek life, along with meeting new people, you will also sometimes be forced to interact with people that you would normally avoid either because you dislike them, either because they intimidate you. It could be because you are shy, or simply because you are so comfortable in your friend group, that you feel no need to interact with other people. Whatever the reason, Greek life will give you an opportunity to learn how to interact with people that you don’t necessarily like and that you’re not necessarily comfortable with, something that is very important in the professional world.
- It teaches you how to dress in a professional setting: Believe it or not this is extremely important. When going for job or internship interviews, one of the things you will be evaluated on is the way you present yourself. You can’t just show up in a T-shirt and skinny jeans. Being a part of Greek life teaches you the appropriate way to dress by instilling a dress code for certain events. It’s very good practice for when you enter the workforce.
- It’s a great way to pursue a leadership role: One of the great things about Greek Life is that there are ton of leadership positions that you can apply for either in your sorority or on Pan-Hellenic (a governing body). They help you develop skills that will serve in your personal as well professional life such as public speaking, organization, the ability to delegate and work with a team.
- There are great networking opportunities: When you’re a part of Greek life, you end up knowing a large number of people, some of whom will have great jobs and internships. Those people can help you get a job or an internship in the field that interests you if they’re in the same field. They can give you great recommendations and speak on your behalf. Furthermore, when employers who were Greek look at your resume and see that you are Greek, even if they weren’t in the same chapter that you’re in, it helps you stand out to them.
- It’s great motivation to maintain a high GPA: Sororities have a minimum GPA requirement that you have to maintain in order to be a member in good standing. Furthermore, houses also have study hours where you get to study with your sisters and ask for help if need be.
- It helps you keep busy: If you like being busy and constantly having things to do and events to go to, Greek life is perfect for you! There is always something going on, either an event that your chapter is putting on, an event that another chapter is putting on that you are participating in. Either way there is always something fun and exciting happening!
- You get the chance to be a part of a community: Like I said before, going to college can be kind of a frightening experience at first. You’re away from friends, family and pretty much everything that you know. It can be a bit lonely and Greek life can be a home away from home. You can find a family and a group of people who support you and help you accustom yourself to your new environment.
- You make friends that last you a lifetime: Although it sounds cliché, it’s very true. Through Greek life I’ve met my best friends and future bridesmaids. We are more than just friends, we are sisters and that is a bond that will last us a lifetime.
- There is a quote that says “My letters don’t make me better than you, they make me better that I used to be.” That’s the best reason to become a part of Greek life. You are constantly surrounded by so many amazing, talented and driven people who inspire you to put your best foot forward and be the best version of yourself.
Although Greek life is not for everybody these are 10 great reasons why you should consider it. You may find yourself being a member of an organization that will give you so much and truly change your life.
Belinda Bilonda-Kalala is a Sorority Life and Lifestyle writer for College Lifestyles. She is a senior English major at Chapman University. She loves reading, writing, traveling, and being a part of Greek life . She is very thankful and exited to have the opportunity to be a part of the College Lifestyles team!